Belgian Malinois dogs are very active and energetic. They have a strong protective instinct and are extremely loyal to their owner. Training is usually easy and usually these dogs excel in any task they are asked to perform. They have a very high energy level, so it is not recommended to leave them alone for long periods as they will get into trouble.
Belgian Malinois dogs can live in an apartment, but require a lot of exercise. They are great dogs for active owners and they enjoy spending time with the family. It is important to remember that they are very intelligent, so they need a lot of mental stimulation as well.Belgian Malinois dogs are good with children and other animals. They like to have attention so training them is usually very easy. These dogs have a high prey drive and it’s best not to leave them alone with smaller animals unless they have been properly trained.Whiskey likes to play with his toys, but he also loves playing fetch, Frisbee and hide-and-seek.
- 1 At What Age Can I Leave My Belgian Malinois Alone (For Any Amount of Time)?
- 2 How Can I Make My Belgian Malinois Stay At Home?
- 3 Follow these guidelines to train your canine:
- 4 How Do I Prepare My Belgian Malinois For Alone Time?
- 5 How Can I Leave My Malinois Alone If I Want To Do Something Guilty-Free?
- 6 Should I keep my Belgian Malinois indoors or outdoors?
- 7 Why shouldn’t I leave my Belgian Malinois alone?
- 8 Final thoughts
At What Age Can I Leave My Belgian Malinois Alone (For Any Amount of Time)?
Belgian Malinois can be left alone for short periods of time, but they should only be left with a person that they trust. The owner needs to know how the dog will react to being left alone and what the signs are that let them know when the owner is going to be home.
These dogs are very intelligent and they will use their intelligence to find a way out of the situation if they are left alone. The owner should be able to have their schedule planned out in advance so that there is no potential for a problem when leaving the dog home alone.
So the 3 months old puppy can be left for 2 hours, and from 3 to 6 months old dog can be left for 3 hours in a busy area and he will be fine. But from 7 months, the dog should be left alone for a maximum of 4 hours.
Senior Mali dogs can be left alone for a few hours. It is not recommended to leave them home alone at that age. The owner should know that if they leave him for more than 4 hours then it is a problem.
Adult Mali dogs are big dogs, they can be left alone for a while, but the owner should keep them in mind what the dog is capable of doing. If left alone for a long period of time, then it is not a good idea to leave them for more than 4 hours at that time.
How Can I Make My Belgian Malinois Stay At Home?
The Belgian Malinois is a very intelligent dog, and they are very loyal to the owner. But when left home alone, it is very important to train them to stay out of trouble.Below are some essential tips that will help you train your dog to stay home alone
train your dog to sit, stay and come
When the dog is left alone, then it needs to be able to sit, stay and come. If the dog does not have these skills then it can cause trouble for itself or for someone else.When you leave home for a long time, then you should train your dog to stay and wait for your return. This will make sure that only after you are home, the dog will be allowed inside home. The waiting period is a maximum of 4 hours.
Train The Dog To Retrieve Objects
The dog needs to be trained so that it will only be allowed inside the house, when it has first retrieved an object before being allowed in the home. Teaching your dog how to retrieve objects will definitely help prevent them from causing trouble while you are away.
Follow these guidelines to train your canine:
- Be consistent in his training.
- Make sure your dog is physically, emotionally and mentally healthy.
- No need to force the dog to learn any new actions.
- Be positive and show your excitement about the training.
- Do not teach a dog old tricks or commands.
- Each time your dog does something good reward him with treats or verbal praise when he complete a task well.
- If there was bad behavior during training then give the dog a treat and say “Good boy”. Give some treats in between for good behaviors.
- Do not train with dogs that are too excited, they might get nervous and start barking or tugging on furniture while you are attempting to train them.
- When you have completed house training make sure that all dogs understand the commands before offering these commands to other dogs that have not been house trained yet
How Do I Prepare My Belgian Malinois For Alone Time?
- Be sure your dog is healthy enough and free from any symptoms like fleas or worms.
- Make sure that you provide your dog with plenty of food and water.
- Make sure that your dog has a clean and comfortable place to sleep when you are away from home.
- Make sure to microchip your dog so that if he ever escapes he will be safe and returned to you.
- Make sure that your dog has been properly vaccinated for parasites and after being away for a long period of time you will get a booster shot.
How Can I Leave My Malinois Alone If I Want To Do Something Guilty-Free?
- Make sure your dog has an ID tag.
- Use a crate if you need to leave your dog for more than a week.
- Use training pads or cushions for the crate if you need to leave your dog for more than a week.
- If you are leaving your dog alone at home make sure he is never left alone in the house, it is always best not to leave him alone in the house unattended, even if he looks quite calm.
- If you will be away for more than a week make sure to take your dog for regular walks and to visit the veterinarian before you leave.
- Make sure to give your dog plenty of exercise, do not be afraid to walk him a lot.
Should I keep my Belgian Malinois indoors or outdoors?
- It is important to be able to provide your dog with enough room to move and play.
- The best place to leave your dog is inside, in the house or in a fenced yard with a large enough area for him to play.
- If you are not able to provide him with that kind of space or if you have other dogs that won’t behave, then it will be best if he stays outside the house.
- You should consider leaving the front door open and never close it, if you are able to keep an eye on your dog outside.
- The crate is not a good place to leave your dog, as he will be confined and unable to move out of it.
- If you have children that don’t play with dogs, it is also best not to leave them alone with the Malinois.
Why shouldn’t I leave my Belgian Malinois alone?
When you leave your dog at home, it is not a good idea to leave him alone for long periods of time. Always keep an eye on him.
It can cause problems like:
- Dogs that are unmanaged and too aggressive to keep in a home.
- Dogs that are nervous around other dogs, that might try to hurt them or an accident may occur.
- Dogs with a history of aggression towards other animals, because they might have been abused or they are just bored.
- Dogs that are obsessed with their owner and he may be left alone for long periods of time.
Your Belgian Malinois is one of the most intelligent and quiet dogs, but they can’t be left unsupervised. They need a lot of love and attention if they are to grow up healthy.This article has provided you with some useful tips to take care of your dog. Hope you enjoy it! if you have any questions feel free to ask me, i will be glad to try my best to answer them. have a nice day!